Friday, March 30, 2012

Netflix Picks!

I know that most of the Western world is furious with Netflix for their ridiculous increase in rates. However, if you are a loyal Netflix customer, or are too lazy to cancel your subscription (like me), here are some goodies on Netflix Instant for your 1 a.m. viewing pleasure!

1. Memento (2000)


I saw this film several years ago during some weird pre-teen rebellious phase, and it may or may not have changed my life. Actually, it probably didn't change my life at all, but it's still a pretty amazing film. Having seen this film in the early 2000s, I had no idea who Christopher Nolan (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Inception, The Prestige) was, and didn't really care who directed the film. However, as this is one of Nolan's first widely released films, it deserves to be watched. The way it is filmed was pretty innovative for its time, as the story, which involves a man suffering from memory loss trying to find out who murdered his wife, is told almost in complete reverse. As you can guess, the story is pretty hard to follow, but watch it a few times and you'll probably get it. Maybe. 

2. Babel (2006)


Feeling depressed?! Watch Babel! I assure you that you will feel better about your life. Or maybe you'll be more depressed. Either way, this film is very powerful. However, when I first saw this film, I was initially disappointed in that I felt like it was riding on the coattails of the previous year's Oscar winner, Crash, in that it follows several different characters whose lives are effected by the same event. Unlike Crash, which had at least some hope in it, Babel is entirely depressing. Also, if you've seen this film, please tell me what the storyline in Japan had to do with anything. Nevertheless, I would recommend this film, as it handles some heavy issues such as illegal immigration and gun violence.

3. Sin Nombre (2009)


Best for last. Watch this film. Weep. That is all.

-S

P.S. Have any of you readers seen any good films on Netflix lately? Let us know in the comments!




No comments:

Post a Comment