Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Silent Film to Talk About: The Artist

Once again, welcome to The Concessions Stand! I hope you’ve enjoyed our first few posts as we get into the groove of things. We have so much in store for you guys, and we can’t wait for all of you to see it!

The last film that I saw in theaters was none other than 2012’s Best Picture winner, The Artist. Before every single awards ceremony this past month, I was definitely a bit wary of seeing the film. I mean, a silent black and white film being released in 2012?! Where was the appeal in that? As the film began to gain buzz though, particularly after the New Year and its sweep of award show wins, I finally decided that I had to see it. And boy, was I glad that I did.

Beginning in 1929, The Artist follows silent movie star George Valentin’s (Best Actor winner Jean Dujardin) relationship with aspiring actress, Peppy Miller (Bérénice Bejo) as the silent film industry is clearing the way for “talking pictures.” Valentin is loyal to the silent films that made him a star, and vehemently opposes “talking pictures,” while Miller wholeheartedly accepts them. For the duration of the film, we learn how Valentin’s and Miller’s lives change due to this new form of entertainment. The audience follows the film predominantly from Valentin's point of view as he realizes that he must make the choice to accept this new trend or fall behind it as an old movie star.

The Artist is a film that is so simple, yet extremely fascinating. As I walked out of the theater, I noticed the posters for films such as Battleship and John Carter – two of the many similar large budget blockbuster movies that are being released constantly today. The fact that a movie like The Artist, which was made with less of a budget than most of the films made in the years past, is probably a much more well-done film than these two is something that the movie industry should bear in mind. Several moviegoers, like myself, are looking for quality over much else. If a simple film like The Artist can achieve that, then that’s something that should be taken note of.

The Artist’s attention to detail is remarkable and fits the time period, including the sets, costumes and score that plays throughout the film. Even Valentin’s scene stealing dog captures the audience’s attention. And if you’re worried about the fact that it’s a silent black and white film, I can tell you that I was barely aware of it and the only times I noticed was when the intertitles flashed across the screen. All in all, The Artist is one of the best films I’ve seen this year, and I believe that it deserves all of its award wins.

If you've seen the film, what did you think? Were you as charmed as I was?

No comments:

Post a Comment